Building, Planning & Zoning
The State Building Code specifies that an application shall be obtained for the following activities:
- Construct or alter a structure
- Construct an addition
- Demolish or remove a structure
- Make a change of occupancy
- Install or alter any equipment which is regulated by this code
To perform any of the above activities without a permit is a violation of the town's ordinances and is subject to substantial fines and penalties.
The Building Official shall receive applications required by the State Building Code, issue permits, and make necessary required by the State Building Code
The zoning office is charged with the administration and enforcement of the Zoning Ordinance of the Town of Richmond and consists of the following duties:
- To interpret and enforce the provisions of the Zoning Ordinance in the manner and form and with the powers provided in the laws of the State, the Charter, and Ordinances of the Town.
- Review and refer all variances, special use permits and appears to the Zoning Board of Review. Grant or deny applications for modifications.
- To provide guidance and clarification and issue zoning certificate(s) to requesting party.
- To receive and investigate violations that alleged to have occurred and to notify in writing the person responsible for such violation, indicating the nature of the violation and order the action necessary to correct it.
- Perform such other duties, and exercise such other powers as are authorized by the Ordinance.
Land Development and Subdivision Regulations have been last revised as of October 2010, and interested parties may obtain an electronic copy of these regulations through the Town Clerk's Office in the Town Hall or they may be viewed via the town's advanced document search page.